Monday, May 09, 2005

1) Passport Application and COP office

The Beginning:Passport Application and Commisoner of Police office in Mumbai

Someone back in my college told me that one need to get ECNR stamp in the passport to visit some of the countries and a degree certificate is required to do so.

some reference about ECNR:
All Indian passports are divided into two categories as follows :
Passports with endorsement : "Emigration Check Required" (ECR)
Passports with endorsement : "Emigration Check Not Required" (ECNR)
The Indian passport holders who have the stamp of ECR, are required to get emigration clearance from Protector of Emigrants if going out to any country except Pakistan, Bangladesh, European countries (excluding CIS countries), all countries of North America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, South Korea and South Africa.
Indian passport holders who have the stamp of ECNR, do not require to take any emigration clearance from POE for going to any country.

So , when my father asked me to apply for the passport at my hometown(Trichy) when i was in my last year of Engineering , i refused to do so due to my laziness (for which i regretted a hell lot) applying for ECNR later might be an addtional work later.

Finally i got my degree certificate a year later when i was in Mumbai(from where i applied for my passport). Note that Mumbai is 36 hours by train from Trichy.

One fine morning i sucessfully submitted my application for the passport. Here started the drama. I assumed that everything will go smooth as the application was made through one of the prestigous companies in India.

To my surprise , two months later i received a letter from the "Commisoner of Police" office in Mumbai asking me to meet them regarding the passport. I travelled to the other end of Mumbai in a crowded train (i would better describe it as a magic ride in some special vehicle where you are automatically pushed into and outof train by people around you). T
he roads i travelled to find the office with my broken Hindi makes another different story ;-)

the news i got from police men is coming soon..........

2 comments:

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roberto Iza Valdés said...

Compliments. Best wishes.